May Meeting to welcome new Staff Council Members and hear proposed policy changes
Monthly meeting: Wednesday, May 24th, 2017, Loop Campus, 55 E. Jackson, 801
- 1:00pm - Call to Order
- 1:10-1:25pm - LGBTQ Faculty and Staff Network - The leadership of DePaul University's LGBTQ Faculty and Staff Network will provide a brief overview of this resource group and how they engage staff and faculty.
- 1:25-1:55pm - Diverse Learning Environment Survey - Liz Ortiz, vice president, Institutional Diversity and Equity, Katie Brick, director, University Ministry, Joe Filkins, associate director, Institutional Research and Market Analytics, Karen Tamburro, Title IX coordinator, Institutional Diversity and Equity
- 1:55-2:40pm - Proposed Changes to Employee Workplace Issues Policy - Isabel Diaz, director, Employee Relations and Engagement and Gianna Johnston, employee relations and engagement specialist will present the updates to the employee workplace issues policy.
- 2:40-2:45pm - Break
- 2:45-3:30pm - Proposed Changes to Salary Administration Policy - David Avdul, director, compensation, Compensation and Benefits will present the updates to the salary administration policy.
- 3:30-4:00pm - Committee Reports, Activities, and Goals Progress
- 4:00-4:05pm - Vice President's Report
- 4:05-4:10pm - President's Report
- 4:10-4:30pm - Executive Session
Add this month's meeting to your Outlook Calendar
For this month's full agenda click here.
Staff Council Goals and Accomplishments - what have we been doing this past year?
Visibility and Awareness
Hosted an emergency staff town hall session with the Fr. Holtschneider to address the university's actions and next steps following the Milo Yilannopolis visit; regarding campus climate, staff diversity, and staff concerns regarding support for our marginalized students (June 2016).
Open letter submitted to Fr. Holtschneider calling for transparency and ongoing updates to address campus safety and address the issues of bias, hate speech, diversity and culture within the DePaul community (July 2016).
Organized staff support to fill shifts for the St Vincent Church soup kitchen for the month of December, when typical student support is unavailable due to the academic break.
Hosted the annual staff Budget Forum with EVP, Jeff Bethke, and Provost, Marten den Boer (March 2017).
Hosted the annual staff town hall with Fr. Holtschneider (April 2017).
Developed visible presence at events through wearing Staff Council branded apparel.
Staff Council representation at the university's Presidential Search public announcement.
Diversity, Mission, and Inclusion
Provided financial sponsorship to five employee resource groups.
Sponsored several university-wide celebrations and events: MLK Breakfast, PDC Diversity Forum, DePaul University's Black Leadership Coalition Annual Students of African Decent Graduation Celebration/Staff Soles, Latinos Empowered at DePaul Students of Latino Decent Graduation Celebration, ELEVATE's inaugural Asian/Pacific Islander Desi American Graduation Celebration, and the DePaul Parent Connection's inaugural "Take Your Child to Work Day."
Presented the annual Staff Council Diversity Award at the annual President's Diversity Council Reception.
Staff Council representation at six Race and Free Speech events
Staff Council representation at ten President Signature Series events
Constituent Concerns and Interests
Appointed 21 staff members to serve on the Presidential Search and Staff Vetting Committees.
Filled 36 staff appointments to open university-wide committees.
Advocated for the re-instatement of the summer hour benefit (Re-instated Summer 2017).
Advocated for part-time staff tuition benefits (Approved, FY'18 budget).
Advocated for increased staff benefits including: childcare, additional two-week maternity leave, and two week paternity leave through University Benefits and Compensation Committee (Approved, FY'18 budget).
Reviewed proposed policy changes to university-wide policies that impact staff.
- Reference Checks and Educational Verifications
- Criminal Background Checks
- Accommodation; Disability and Pregnancy
- Salary Administration
- Employee Workplace Issues Resolution
Collaboration with University partners
Worked collaboratively with HR on the Staff Compensation Program Rollout and communication plans
Collaborated with Office of Institutional Diversity and Equity and hosted a pilot Staff Professional Development Speed Mentoring initiative (April 2017).
Collaborated with both Faculty Council and Student Government Association to host a shared governance networking reception (May 2017).
Who serves on Staff Council?
Learn more about who is currently elected to Staff Council, what Committee they serve on, as well as what department they are affiliated with. Membership info includes photo, name, committee, department, and email.
Page 1: Organizational Chart outlining Steering Committee: President, Vice
President, Secretary, and Committee Chairs
Page 2: Staff Council members
Click here for Staff Council Directory
Staff Council is here to advocate for staff, participate in university governance, and engage with staff about issues faced in the workplace. When it comes to questions and problems in the office or on campus, Staff Council can guide you in the right direction, though it is important to remember that we are neither a confidential resource nor a mediator.